Answer: Talk to your child’s teacher or the school librarian. She may not be aware that your son is having difficulty choosing the right book for him. Talk to your son about his areas of interest. For him, what defines a “good book”? Perhaps he would enjoy reading nature or sports magazines, or non-fiction books rather than stories.
- Read aloud at home as a family.
- Popular movies and television shows are often based on books: Harry Potter, The Borrowers, The Magic Schoolbus
- Try suggesting joke, riddle or humourous books.
- Titles for 8 – 13 year old boys include:
- Aliens for Breakfast by Jonathon Etra
- Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery by Deborah Howe and James Howe
- Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith
- The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald
- How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
- Keven Corbett Eats Flies by P. Hermes
Reprinted with permission from The Saskatoon Public School Division. For more information see their website at: http://www.sbe.saskatoon.sk.ca.