Servings: makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups grated carrots (approx. 3 large carrots)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add to this mixture the grated carrots, grated apple and shredded coconut.
- In a small bowl, beat two eggs, then add the oil and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix only until dry ingredients are completely combined. Do not overmix.
- Grease muffin tin or use paper muffin cups. Spoon batter into muffin tin to 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Check that muffins are done by inserting a toothpick or fork into the middle of the muffin. If it comes out clean, the muffin is cooked. Remove from muffin pan and cool.
Cooking tip: To make these muffins lower in fat, replace half the oil with ¼ cup of applesauce or ¼ cup mashed bananas.
To test if muffins are fully cooked, put a fork or toothpick in the middle of a muffin. When you remove the fork or toothpick, if it comes out clean without any batter or muffin on it, the muffins are cooked.
Recipe courtesy of Healthy Start Mom & Me